Monday, November 19, 2007

Kansas Joe McCoy- My Wash Woman's Gone

















Dirty.

In the rare instance anyone thinks of Kansas Joe McCoy, it's probably either in reference to his wife Memphis Minnie or their 1929 recording of "When the Levee Breaks." Both are notable achievements. One In a Hundred, a collection of McCoy's dates, is packed with 24 additional reasons he should be more clearly remembered. This 1931 session with Memphis Minnie (I don't know why he calls her "Miss Sheila" on the recording; maybe he's saying "mis-treater." And for that matter, why does he pronounce "deaf" as deef"?) is so enthralling that it's somewhat surprising that a blues revival band like Led Zeppelin didn't cover it. Maybe it's just too dirty and too odd.

---
Although I love pure pop music (regular readers already know about my weakness for Beyonce and Ashley Tisdale) the first 55 minutes of last night's American Music Awards was excruciating. After painfully pitiful performances by Fergie, Will.I.Am, Nicole from the Pussycat Dolls and Rascal Flatts, the Jonas Brothers seemed brilliant. That's when I turned off my TV.

---
I enjoyed a Chris Cornell/Earl Greyhound concert over the weekend. My review is here.

---
Kansas City Click: I called Jerry Hahn "an angry Jim Hall" at Plastic Sax. See why here. The Wichita-based guitarist is featured at the Blue Room tonight.

No comments: