Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Hank Jones- Lazy Afternoon

















Night.

I don't yet own Hank Jones' new album with Joe Lovano. It's receiving terrific notices, and an EPK for the release convinced me that I must find a copy. (I do, however, relish their work together on this year's Billy Strayhorn tribute.) On the 89-year-old's out-of-print 1989 Lazy Afternoon he's joined by Dave Holland on bass, Keith Copeland on drums and Ken Peplowski on reeds. It's all very nice, of course, but it's the title track that's utterly brilliant.

---
I'm waiting for an irate mob of Nickelback and Daughtry fans to bust down my door. They're not amused by this review of Sunday's show.

---
On the other hand, concertgoers seem to think I was overly generous in my negative review of the Black Crowes' Friday night outing.

---
Ali & Gipp are what's making cash registers ring in my neck of the woods.

---
The moment I saw the headline- Colorado Police Link Rise In Violence to Music- I knew the story would be about Colorado Springs. It's a gritty town with startlingly varied social contrasts.

---
Kansas City Click: I'm amused that the manager of this area high school marching band's MySpace account posted today's practice as a show. They're good, but I don't know if they're good enough to compel me to sit in the heat and watch them work on alignments.

3 comments:

Don't Need Anything said...

the comments on the nickelback review are hilarious. they needed to put dowm the pabst blue ribbon for a minute before writing those comments

WLIB said...

Elements of this post remind me of a comment comedian Brian Posehn made (on that ill-fated Colin Quinn show on Comedy Central). Something to the effect of "Music does promote violence. When I hear Nickelback's music, I want to kill Nickelback."

paolo said...

The Hank Jones is truly a great album - you will enjoy the collaboration with Lovano - they seem to bring out the best in each other, kinda like Getz and Barron. Hard to believe Jones is 89 from his play.

Paul