Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Charlie Louvin- This Darn Pen

















Out of ink.

Imagine seeing an ancient guy teeter toward the podium at a book reading. "Good evening, my name is Matt," he might say. "I'm going to do something I wrote back in the day. Those King James guys did a nice version- they called it Matthew 5:3. 'Blessed are the poor in spirit....'" That's how I felt as Charlie Louvin sang originals like "Cash On the Barrelhead" and "The Christian Life." My review is here. Louvin claimed that "the best song I ever recorded" was a duet with Willie Nelson on "This Darn Pen." He was referring to the version featured on this album, which he didn't have for sale Monday night. This rendition is available on the out-of-print Live In Holland.

---
I'll admit it: "Party Like a Rock Star", the moronic new single by the Shop Boyz, makes me laugh like a giddy 13-year-old.

---
Kansas City Click: UMKC's White Recital Hall will resonate with Schoenberg's noise. I hope to be there.

No comments: