Thursday, March 29, 2007

Roger Kellaway- Mack the Knife

















Out of sight.

Roger Kellaway is one of those musicians who has worked with everybody and done everything. A couple of years ago he released Remembering Bobby Darin, a tribute to his old boss. It's a wonderful effort featuring guitarist Bruce Forman and bassist Dan Lutz. The familiar Brecht/Weill composition that closes the disc is clearly played for laughs. Yet I find it a refreshingly playful performance that's all too rare in the po-faced world of jazz.

---
I'll admit it. I'm obsessed with the television infomercial for this set of CDs. It's not like I'm tempted to purchase these "soft rock" hits from the '70s. I just find the lengthy advertisement oddly comforting. And I laugh out loud every time I see a satisfied "customer" say something like "It's not just a collection of music- it's a collection of emotions."

---
Kansas City Click: Bill Dye is one of my favorite local guitarists. He plays with John Paul tonight at BB's Lawnside BBQ.

No comments: