Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Koko Taylor- Don't Mess With the Messer

















Messed up.

Koko Taylor's "Queen of the Chicago Blues" title really meant something once. Her incessant touring and strong releases made her the genre's top star during the blues boom of the late '80s and early '90s. I love this soul rave-up from 1965. Taylor's trademark rawness battles with the production's pop trappings. The self-titled debut is out of print.

---
This interesting USA Today chart lists the top radio songs of 2006. Mary J. Blige, who has obvious connections to Koko Taylor's legacy, tops the list with this song.

---
I made a point of watching the Orange Bowl's halftime show with Taylor Hicks and Gladys Knight last night. I root for Hicks, so I regret reporting that the two-song performance was miserable. Hicks' harmonica (over)playing and bleached blues sound made me long for Blues Traveler. That's not good. Knight seemed embarrassed to be there.

No comments: