Monday, September 18, 2006

Bill Caldwell- Eternal Triangle



















An eternity has passed.

I was pleased to see several of Kansas City's premier musicians on stage when I entered a jazz cafe last night. Megan Birdsall and Gary Sivils were leading a band of familiar faces but I didn't immediately recognize the guy on sax. He was wearing a Chiefs shirt and looked a little haggard. But when he took his first solo it was as if Sonny Rollins had stepped onto the stage. Only then did I realize the man with the burly sound was Bill Caldwell. I hadn't seen him play for several years. Caldwell shares this 1993 date with Everette DeVan.

---
Former Texas Governor Ann Richards died last week. While attending a Raul Malo showcase at SXSW a couple years ago, I was startled to see her sitting on the floor of the packed room. She clearly was a true music lover.

---
My reviews of recent Tool and Dr. John concerts are posted here.

No comments: