Friday, August 03, 2007

Tommy Makem, 1932-2007

















Farewell.

Tommy Makem, hailed by some as "the godfather of Irish music," died August 1 in New Hampshire. While it's not a song immediately associated with the Clancy Brothers, I couldn't resist featuring the poignant "The Dutchman" in this small memorial. It's a sentimental heartbreaker, perfect for Makem's spirited style. The song never fails to make my eyes a little watery. In the expert hands of these Irishmen, tears roll down my cheeks. It's on this live collection.

---
I speculate on the jazz audiences of tomorrow at Plastic Sax.

---
I'm currently infatuated with the unbelievable sound of Jessie Morales' band.

---
Kansas City Click: There's a stunning array great live music options tonight. I'm going with Ray Price at Knuckleheads.

Reverend Horton Heat and Murder By Death at Crossroads should make for a lively Saturday night.

Gary Sivils is at Jardine's on Sunday.

2 comments:

Rod Warner said...

thanks for the dutchman - didn't realise that Tommy Makem had recorded it - I know it through a version a friend of mine plays - but a wonderful song and a nice tribute... makem and the clancys helped to bring me to folk music way way back...

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks for checking in, Rod.