Monday, May 14, 2007

The Ocean Blue- Either Or

















Neither.

I saw a band called Shurman open for Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers last week. I liked them, but they sounded and looked uncannily like Clyne's band. I spent a few minutes in front of the club talking to the promoter when I arrived. Based on what I heard pumping through the door, I assumed Clyne was trying out some new material. I don't know which is sillier- Shurman doing a Clyne impression or Clyne's decision to have the sound-alike act tour with him. The same issue may have prevented The Ocean Blue from achieving greater commercial success. Depending on the song, The Ocean Blue resembled Aztec Camera, The Smiths, The Cocteau Twins or the Cure. As this track from the out-of-print Beneath the Rhythm and Sound demonstrates, the Pennsylvania band was really good. But even so, it's almost impossible to avoid playing spot-the-influences. Here's a video for a song from the same album.

---
Here's my review of Friday's big Brad Paisley concert.

---
One thing about country music shows- unless Bocephus or The Possum are involved, you know they're going to start on time. Bob Dylan excepted, few rock-oriented acts seem concerned with schedules. Consequently, I know at least two ticketholders who were shocked to discover that Damien Rice punctually began his performance at 7:30 p.m. last night.

---
Kansas City Click: Residents of a mental health facility are in for a treat this afternoon. I hope Emily Tummons performs her great rendition of "Up On the Roof." It's worthy of Karen Carpenter. The three other songs at Tummons' MySpace account are too therapy-oriented for my taste, but I'm looking forward to catching one of her non-institutional gigs.

No comments: