Thursday, January 04, 2007

Fito Olivares- El Vago


















Buenes noches.

I'd be lying if I claimed to understand even a fraction of what's happening on this Mexican cumbia by Fito Olivares. The room starts spinning every time I listen to its accordion, whistle, wacky vocal and absurd percussion effects. All I know for certain is that its propulsive zaniness fills me with joy. The 2002 release appears to be available here.

---
Del Reeves died on New Year's Day. His "The Girl On the Billboard" has made me smile since I was a toddler.

----
I try not to shoot fish in a barrel, especially when the old lunker is the once-brilliant Rod Stewart. Even so, I'm compelled to share this anecdote from my retail job. A elegant matron asked me to help her with her purchase earlier this week. "I can't decide which to get. Should I go with this Barry Manilow CD," she asked. "Or do you think I'd prefer this Rod Stewart CD with the same songs?"

No comments: