Friday, January 29, 2010

Lonnie Liston Smith- Sunset

















Dark.

My vinyl copy of Lonnie Liston Smith's out-of-print Live! is pretty banged up. Its condition indicates that the 1977 release probably spent a lot of time on a turntable in the late '70s. In sweetly nostalgic fashion, its balance of dated fusion and solid funk still resonates with me. Saxophonist Dave Hubbard is featured on "Sunset," the album's meditative closing track.

---
Joel Francis interviews Professor Griff.

---
Last night I caught part of a terrestrial radio program featuring obscure local prog-rock and metal bands from the '70s and '80s. Members of one of these acts were following all over themselves in gratitude for the attention. That's cool. A quick Google search revealed that none of those knuckleheads has bothered to establish even the most rudimentary of web presences. That's not cool. I did, however, stumble upon several references to Starcastle, a band I hadn't considered in twenty years. Their comprehensive tour log fascinates me. I'd forgotten that I'd seen the band at World of Fun when I was a kid.

---
One doesn't have to be a Joe Lovano geek to appreciate this promotional video about his recent injury, the dichotomy between art and commerce and the difference between influences and individualism.

---
Kansas City Click: Oriole Post, the Parade Schedule and Grisly Hand play the Czar Bar on Friday.

Anvil hit the Riot Room on Saturday.

Jazz returns to the Record Bar on Sunday in the form of the Black House Improvisors' Collective .

No comments: