Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Kate McGarrigle, 1946-2010

















Au revoir.

I never completely connected with the music of Kate and Anna McGarrigle. Their albums- I acquired six or seven of them through the years- are too urbane, inscrutably feminine and Canadian (yeah, I said it) to resonate with me. I also longed for more immediately accessible songs like "Heart Like a Wheel." (Don't miss this lovely rendition.) I suppose that makes me a hopeless barbarian. The French Album, currently out-of-print, is my favorite, probably because I can enjoy the sisters' harmonies without worrying about the lyrics. Kate McGarrigle died Monday.

---
I'm not ashamed to say that I've always liked Staind. I've gladly spent money on their CDs and willingly purchased concert tickets to see them. That revelation might make my review of a recent Aaron Lewis concert all the more damning.

---
Wu-Tang vs The Beatles. What could be better?

---
Teen jazz phenom Matt Chalk is performing at The Grammys. I interview him at Plastic Sax. And this post at Plastic Sax elicited twenty comments filled with venomous name-calling and hurtful accusations. Go figure.

---
Kansas City Click: According to Back To Rockville, this is the schedule for Wednesday's Haiti benefit at The Record Bar: "The lineup: 6:30 to 7:05 p.m., Bob Walkenhorst and Jeff Porter; 7:15 to 7:50 p.m., Danny Cox; 8 to 8:35 p.m., Sara Swenson; 8:45 to 9:30 p.m., the Elders."

No comments: