Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Review: Everclear at the Midland Theater
















It would be disingenuous of me to claim that Everclear's performance Tuesday at the Midland Theater was great. As Tim Finn's review suggests, sound and voice issues were real problems. But I'd also be lying if I said I didn't love hearing all those hits again. The sturdy songs Art Alexakis writes, as Finn noted, don't go out of style. I also admire Alexakis for keeping it real. He knows the score and appreciates his audience accordingly. Although it was a simple gesture, his shout-out to Kansas City club The Hurricane (now the Riot Room) meant a lot to longtime fans.

---
Jimmy Wyble, guitarist for Bob Wills and other legends, died January 16. This video just breaks my heart.

---
I always thought of Swayzorbladez as the heavy-set white guy who's always jumping on stage at hip hop shows. But the man won a prominent freestyle battle last weekend. Shows what I know.

---
Kansas City Click: Cedric Burnside and Lightin' Malcolm will attempt to hypnotize the audience at the Record Bar on Wednesday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: