Monday, October 20, 2008

Rudy Ray Moore, 1937-2008




















Thanks, Rudy.

I clearly recall the smackdown I received when I made a sales call on an urban-oriented retailer about twenty years ago. The store owner made a series of references that sailed way over my head. "That's Rudy Ray Moore, son!" he chided. "Don't tell me you don't know about Dolemite!" I didn't. That entrepreneur would still disapprove of me- I can hardly listen to Moore's material to this day. It's just too dirty. "Health Department" is easily the least objectionable track on This Ain't No White Christmas. I know it's heresy, but I actually prefer the Little Richard-style material found on this collection. Moore died October 19.

---
Rod Warner, one of my favorite music bloggers, is working on a book about "the street music scene in London, Paris and beyond during the sixties." Check out this evocative post.

---
Here's my review of Sunday's concert by Queensryche, Tesla, MiniKiss and the Leo Project.

---
I'm pretty sure I have some Dee Dee Warwick in my collection, but for now I'll just note that the R&B vocalist died October 18. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Kansas City Click: Olympic Size and American Catastrophe make themselves at home at the Czar Bar tonight.

1 comment:

jonder said...

Them's some wild album covers you've been featuring lately!