Monday, October 20, 2008

Dave McKenna, 1930-2008

















Farewell.

His obituary in the New York Times quotes Dave McKenna as once suggesting that he played "saloon piano." He repeated the assertion in the liner notes to the gorgeous 1989 Maybeck Recital series session. If that's the case, I need to start hanging out in better saloons. His swing and bop-informed stride style will be missed. Thankfully, a great deal of fine McKenna footage is available on YouTube. He wrings every bit of wistfulness out of "Some Other Time".

---
I've been at a loss as to how to memorialize Levi Stubbs. He died October 17. Substantially rougher, grittier and more emotive than Smokey, Marvin or any of the Temptations, Stubbs was easily my favorite male vocalist among Motown's top stars. The Four Tops were featured at There Stands the Glass eight months ago.

---
Edie Adams died October 15. Until Friday, I'd never seen this crazy Muriel cigar spot co-starring Stan Getz.

---
A drunk rock chick deliberately doused my camera in beer last night. It's ruined. Is photographing Mini Kiss really that objectionable? Until I buy a new camera I'll be copping images online. I know you're disappointed, but look at the bright side- it allows me to feature this atrocious McKenna album cover.

---
Kansas City Click: I don't care what you think- I love Straylight Run's "Existentialism On Prom Night". They're on the bill at the Beaumont tonight.

No comments: