Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Merl Saunders, 1934-2008
















Goodbye, Merl.

What's that saying? "Don't hate the player, hate the game."

I've always taken the opposite approach. I love the game; it's the players I don't always care for.

There Stands the Glass rarely references the jam band movement.

But in my world view, exceptions aren't just made- they're embraced.

Merl Saunders is a prime example. The man made all sorts of compelling music and diligently played small club dates both before and after the death of his sometime associate Jerry Garcia.

The genial groove of "M.S." is found on this 2000 release. And for personal reasons, I also have great affection for Saunders' Blues From the Rainforest.

Saunders died last week.

---
Miles Bonny offers a free "Soundtrack to a Presidency" mix featuring the likes of Donny, Stevie and Curtis.

---
Popular Russian vocalist Muslim Magomayev died October 25. This nationalist video is really creepy. (Tip via Meesha.)

---
The new album by The Cure really appeals to me, and I'm not even much of a fan.

---
Kansas City Click: The wonderful Alexi Murchoch opens for Alanis Morisette tonight at the Midland.

No comments: