Friday, June 02, 2006

Nasida Ria- Boleh Bersuka Ria



















The MP3 is gone.

Trying to find a definitive song to represent Indonesia is akin to selecting a piece of music that defines America. It can't be done. The diversity of the vast archipelago defies easy generalizations. As recovery efforts from May's devastating earthquake continue, this gleeful selection by Java's Nasida Ria, an Islamic nine-piece all-woman band, may allow more direct emotional connection to the tragedy than just reading another newspaper headline. The song, with its Arabic flourishes and roots in contemporary pop from Japan and Bollywood, is tremendous fun. It's found on the fantastic Rough Guide series. If you're so inclined, here's an overview of what the Red Cross is doing in Indonesia.

5 comments:

bgo said...

Once again, thanks for hipping me to something new and cool to these eager ears.

m&s

Happy In Bag said...

You're welcome, M&S. Don't miss the Gregory Hickman-Williams song, either.

Chapín said...

Well I just came along to say thanks for the link to La Onda Tropical..
But I love this track! And the Hilton Ruiz one even more! I'll be hanging out here more often I think ;)

Saludos
Chapín

Happy In Bag said...

Chapin, I love your site. And there aren't many others like it. I've been considering a Plastilina Mosh post for a while; yours has inspired me to make it happen.

bgo said...

I never skip any of your posts unless it is something I've already heard.

m&s