Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Joe Pass- Corcovado

















Passed.

As I read news reports and editorial hand-wringings about the controversy regarding a CD that would mark a milestone anniversary at Yoshi's jazz club, I was distracted by a small detail. That Joe Pass had two tracks on the planned release momentarily stunned me. "I thought he died years ago," I mumbled. It was with a confusing jumble of emotions that I checked into the status of the jazz guitarist. He did, in fact, pass away in 1994. Here's a sublime take on Jobim's "Corcovado" recorded in 1974 at Donte's, another California jazz venue. It's available on Resonance.

---
I saw Alan Jackson, Brooks & Dunn, Jake Owen and Catherine Britt perform on Sunday night. My review is here.

---
Kansas City Click: One of my friends recently recommended 90 Minutes. It's totally out of character for my pal to suggest a commercial cover band, so I'm sure they have something special going on. They're at Jerry's Bait Shop in Lenexa tonight.

No comments: