Friday, November 16, 2007

Ralph Stanley- Little Mathie Grove

















Murdered.

I didn't hesitate to pay an exorbitant twenty dollars for Ralph Stanley's self-titled CD. It was the price of entry to a roped-off merch area where I had the honor of shaking the great man's hand. Along with artists including Alison Krauss & Union Station, Emmylou Harris, Ricky Skaggs and Del McCoury, Stanley was part of the 2002 version of the tour. The eighty-year-old visits a roadhouse in my town Saturday night. The ancient "Little Mathie Grove" is about a terrifying battle that concludes with a spiteful decapitation.

---
I don't care about Hanson one way or another, but I'm very impressed by their charitable shoe walk campaign. It's a cool idea for the artist, their fans, an apparel company and the charity's recipients.

---
Here's a damning confession- until I picked up Mothership earlier this week, I didn't own a single Led Zeppelin CD. I just never felt the need to replace my vinyl. I feel like a drooling 17-year-old miscreant again.

---
Kansas City Click: Vanessa Rubin's elegant crooning comes to the Blue Room Friday.

It doesn't get much cooler than Ralph Stanley performing at Knuckleheads Saturday.

The People's Liberation Big Band gets anarchic at The Pistol Sunday.

No comments: