Friday, January 13, 2006

Bob Feldman, 1949-2006



















The song is over.

I’d be lying if I said I liked Bob Feldman. I often found the president of Red House Records to be irrational and unpleasant. But I also knew that, no matter how misguided he might have been, he was always passionately fighting for what he perceived as the best interests of the Minnesota-based folk label. And with Feldman at the helm, the label not only survived but prospered through difficult times. Feldman died Wednesday. He was 56. Greg Brown is Red House’s co-founder and best-known artist, but the label continues to issue acoustic-oriented music by a wide variety of performers. This Peter Ostroushko and Dean Magraw duet album is a fine example of Red House’s aesthetic.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the time to leave a blog about Bob Feldman. If you honestly thought he was irrational and unpleasant you never got a chance to know him on a personal level or didn't know him well enough to know that he was probably just joking. Not only was he my uncle but he was one of the most loving, giving, and companssionate people I have ever met. Thank you to the group of wonderful friends that attended shiva. I loved hearing all the funny Bob stories! He will be greatly missed!

Happy In Bag said...

I only knew your uncle on a professional basis. I'm glad to hear he had a different side.

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your honesty. But I knew Bob for nearly 20 years and he was never irrational or unpleasent. He was extremely kind and I feel blessed to have known him.