Monday, September 21, 2009

Hollis Brown- Show Love

















No more love.

How I wish Hollis Brown was the house band at my neighborhood tavern! My quality of life would improve significantly. The New York City-based act provides the perfect soundtrack for throwing back drinks, shooting pool and just hanging out with friends. I'd actually rather have Hollis Brown playing down the street every night than many better-known and more accomplished like-minded acts. I'd feel compelled to listen intently to Son Volt. I'd get overly involved in the interactive material of Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. The Bottle Rockets would be too intense. And I'd probably be tempted to pick a fight with Ryan Adams or with Adam Duritz of the Counting Crows. Instead, the post-Blonde On Blonde sound of their sold self-titled debut album makes Hollis Brown the ideal band to hear two or three nights a week. Here's the video for "Show Love." Cheers!

---
I know nothing. After I dissed it last week, Mac Lethal's new novelty song has proceeded to rack up 55,000 views in six days. Additionally, Mac has reportedly secured at least one date opening for the The Streets. Congratulations, Mac- it's a good thing you're not listening to me.

---
Henry Threadgill's Easily Slip Into Another World was the first album that made me realize that jazz could still be viable and interesting. I'm incredibly excited about his first new release in years. A couple tracks from the October release stream at Destination Out.

---
I spent the better part of last Thursday night monitoring Brother Ali's Ustream discussion. Has there ever been a better time to be a music fan?

---
I'm really proud of the work I'm doing at Plastic Sax.

---
Kansas City Click: Sait Arat plays percussion Monday at the Czar Bar.

No comments: