Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Dub Syndicate- Drainpipe Rats















Exterminated.

I was horrified when "Murder She Wrote" revolutionized the reggae scene in the early '90s. It represented everything I loathed about the direction the music was heading. Over fifteen years later, I wholeheartedly embrace the hit. Funny how that happens. One of the men responsible for updating- for better or for worse- the sound of reggae was Wycliffe Johnson, a.k.a. Steely. He died September 1. Here's a partial listing of his credits. And here's one of his typical productions. Steely played keyboards on the out-of-print 1983 album One Way System.

---
Meeting Laroo was an unexpected bonus at the Jacka's instore Saturday.

------
I attended Rock the Light last weekend. Here's my review. I was delighted that a Christian rocker captured the amusing schedule for a recent Lil Wayne concert at the same venue.

---
Kenny Diamondz' TwitPic of last weekend's White Linen Party starring Lyfe Jennings depicts quite a scene.

---
Even with a lineup that failed to featured a fresh "must-see" act, I had a great time (as always) at the 2009 edition of the Kansas City Irish Festival. If forced to choose, I suppose David Munnelly and his band of merry men were my favorite group.

---
My friend Michael Byars is the best music trivia player I've encountered. His fine podcast probably has something to do with his encyclopedic skills.

---
Kansas City Click: I intend to stay back home with my (new) Beatles and my Stones on Tuesday night, so I'll miss the Ruskin Quartet's gig at Chaz.

1 comment:

Bronx Sewer Cleaning said...

Interesting post! Thanks for sharing