Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Bud Shank, 1926-2009















Goodbye.

Jazz saxophonist and flautist Bud Shank died April 2. He was 82. Long a favorite of straight-ahead jazz fans weaned on Stan Kenton, Shank's playing, at least for me, became increasingly compelling as he aged. He's heard to great effect here with The L.A. Four- a collaboration between Shank, Laurinda Almeida, Ray Brown and drummers Shelly Manne and Jeff Hamilton. "Williwaw" is from a 1978 date included on this collection.

---
In addition to seeing The Game, I caught the Kansas City Symphony (my notes) and Steve Coleman (my review) last weekend.

---
I'm a fan of the new CD Baby Hip Hop Podcast. Listeners partial to the underground sound favored by the Black Clover and Rhymesayers labels will dig it.

---
Kansas City Click: Aterciopelados make their Kansas City debut tonight at The Beaumont.

2 comments:

brucedene said...

You are going to Aterciopelados, I hope?

Happy In Bag said...

Yes sir.