Friday, May 30, 2008

K.T. Oslin- Down In the Valley

















Filled in.

I never "got" Sex and the City. I tried watching an episode once or twice, but the show made me want to claw my eyes out. The barrage of publicity behind the release of the film this week, not surprisingly, is also driving me batty. As a straight male, I guess I'm not the target demographic. But that doesn't mean I've never been one of the girls. I gladly sang along to "Hold Me", "This Woman" and "80s Ladies" when K.T. Oslin was a country music headliner. I even bought My Roots Are Showing, her 1996 "comeback" album. As suggested by the title, it's a collection of covers. It's so solid that some tracks could be mistaken for the new Cat Power release by unattentive listeners. In addition to album closer "Down In the Valley," highlights include Richard Thompson's "A Heart Needs a Home" and Jimmy Martin's "Hold Whatcha Got."

---
I went to Dierks Bentley's concert last night. My friend Tim reviewed the show.

---
Few of my buddies share my enthusiasm for the project, but I'm loving the new Atmosphere.

---
Kansas City Click: There Stands the Glass favorite Rodney Crowell returns to the Kansas City area for a free show tonight. His 2007 appearance at Knuckleheads floored me.

The Winard Harper Sextet perform at the Blue Room both Friday and Saturday night.

Raheem DeVaughn, Chrisette Michele and Solange Knowles (yes, she's the little sister of you-know-who) are booked at the Beaumont Sunday. Let's hope Michelle's set is more substantial than her disappointing spot opening for Musiq Soulchild in the same venue last year.

No comments: