Friday, May 09, 2008

Eddy Arnold, 1918-2008

















Goodbye, Mr. Arnold.

"Once we cut out the by-cracky nonsense and give respect to our music," Eddy Arnold once said, "Then people will respect us." He was often foreced to defend the countrypolitan sound he created with Chet Atkins. It's not an appropriate time to criticize the consequences of the seismic shift Arnold delivered to American music. Arnold died yesterday. He was just days shy of reaching 90. In hindsight, the crossover style represented by "You Still Got a Hold On Me" seems entirely inevitable. The smooth-as-silk song is from the out-of-print My World.

---
I'm all hopped up on former Kansas City-area resident Janelle Monae's "Many Moons". It's like a mashup of "B.O.B. (Bombs Over Baghdad)", "Hey Ya," "Hollaback Girl" and "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)." Turn off the sound and watch this live fan video. Yow!

---
I'm really enjoying The Slip, the new (free) release from Nine Inch Nails. That guy gets it.

---
Kansas City Click: Watch this Grupo Control video before you tell me you're not attending tonight's Fiesta event at Crown Center.

Jamaican jazz pianist Monty Alexander performs at the Folly Theater Saturday.

Sunday brings at opportunity to tug on Pepe Tovar's mustache at Fiesta Kansas City.

3 comments:

bgo said...

I love(ed) Eddy Arnold's voice. A heartsick song like "What's He Doing In My World" shouldn't sound so silky smooth, but dag gummit, Arnold made it a trademark.

I must admit I prefer his early recordings featuring Ivan Leroy "Little Roy" Wiggins' crying steel guitar.

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks for the initial tip, BGO.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Janelle Monae was from KC. Is she the one who covered "Dark Side of the Moon?"