Monday, October 04, 2010

Review: Nick Charles in Leawood























While I'm accustomed to frequenting unlikely places to satisfy an obsession with live music, my experience Sunday might be the most unusual I'll have in 2010. At the urging of a There Stands the Glass reader, I heard guitarist Nick Charles perform at a Leawood chocolate shop on Sunday afternoon.

It sounded much like this, only with background noise from a cappuccino machine and innocuous chatter from women and girls snacking on chocolate fondue. Of the two dozen people in the room, half were there specifically for Charles.

The Australian was charming. Just fourteen hours after seeing Alice In Chains, however, I wasn't in a proper frame of mind to fully appreciate Charles' precise but heartfelt country blues. I left after forty minutes.

---
Alice In Chains stunned me Saturday night. I had no idea the band was so powerful at this late date. Deftones and Mastodon were also on the bill. Here's my review.

---
I investigate the new album by Kansas City jazz act Killer Strayhorn at Plastic Sax.

---
Kansas City Click: Millie Edwards sings at The Phoenix on Monday.

Matt Otto performs at noon Tuesday at Johnson County Community College.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: