Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Andy Scott- Rainy Day















No more rain.

They don't write songs like that anymore. Andy Scott's "Rainy Day" crushes that cliche. It's just one of several songs on his new album Don't Tempt Fate that evoke the nonchalant depth of Hoagy Carmichael's 1956 date as a leader. "Who Doesn't Call," complemented by an engaging animated video, is another. It doesn't hurt that Scott's cast includes Sam Yahel on keyboards, Ross Traut on guitar and Victor Lewis on drums. Madeleine Peyroux sings on one track. Fans of Jessie Harris and Mose Allison will be enthralled by Scott.

---
Show of the year? Less than two weeks into January and the year in live music may have already peaked for me. Here's my review of an extraordinary Lil Wayne concert.

---
It's so cool that Beyonce's new single is about the New Wave rock band Devo. Check the hook- "I-I like Devo, I-I like Devo, I-I like Devo."

---
I freaked out at Jay McShann's birthday party last night.

---
Kansas City Click: Independence's own Alo Key visits the Record Bar tonight.

Scott Weiland does his thing at the VooDoo Lounge on Wednesday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cute stuff at this shop :)

My fave is the Purple Textured Fairy Card.