Friday, December 28, 2007

Oscar Peterson, 1925-2007

















Farewell, Mr. Peterson.

It took about twenty years of listening intently to jazz before I began to appreciate Oscar Peterson. I initially felt that the unapologetic beauty he offered, along with his overwhelming technical prowess, just wasn't for me. I was more of a Monk man. Peterson died Sunday. This original composition, recorded in 1986 with Joe Pass, David Young and Martin Drew, was originally released on Live!. It's also available on a fine collection titled The Composer. While I may still prefer Monk, my tastes have developed enough to allow me to revel in Peterson's artistry.

---
Locals will want to know that the Streetside on Delmar in St. Louis is closing. It's the sister store to the retail location in Westport.

---
I contributed a few Kansas City-oriented music lists to Present magazine.

---
Kansas City Click: Organic Proof is featured tonight at Mike's Tavern.

Trent Tomlinson provides the music at Saturday's rodeo. (Wouldn't Kemper Arena be a better venue than the Sprint Center for this event?) Anyway, I've never switched the station when this song came on.

The Record Bar offers an all-ages early show Sunday. Mi Corazon Negro and Black Oxygen are among the local noisemakers on tap.

No comments: