Thursday, September 18, 2008

Walter "Wolfman" Washington- Just My Imagination

















Imagine it.

Ashford-Simpson. Holland-Dozier-Holland. Whitfield-Strong. Even the names of Motown Record's top songwriting teams seem magical. Norman Whitfield died Tuesday.

Many of Whitfield's songs- including "Ain't Too Proud To Beg," "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" and "Papa Was a Rolling Stone"- are in constant rotation in our culture of aural wallpaper. One of my favorites, Rose Royce's "I Wanna Get Next To You", has been spared from overexposure.

New Orleans blues and soul mainstay Walter "Wolfman" Washington puts a refreshing spin on Whitfield-Strong's "Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)." Appropriately, he uses the song to remember Little Willie John, Nat "King" Cole and Louis Armstrong. It's from a reissue of a fine 1981 release.

---
Deleting MP3s is the new listening to B-sides.

---
I seem to miss out on the fun stuff at 7th Heaven. Sliccs Gotcha raps from the roof on this distorted clip.

---
I never thought I could tire of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes," but the 18-month-old hit has been ubiquitous the past couple months.

---
Kansas City Click: Ron Block's former bandleader Alison Krauss (along with Robert Plant) will return to Starlight Theater next week. Block picks and grins in the intimate confines of the Mountain Music Shoppe tonight.

2 comments:

bgo said...

You sure buy a whole variety of beverages.

Happy In Bag said...

I was excited about the new/old Schlitz. It tastes a lot like PBR but it makes my head hurt.