Monday, September 22, 2008

Don & Dewey- Jump Awhile

















Grounded.

Even though I was never that into Blink-182 (I am quite partial to the Transplants), I was naturally horrified when I learned of Friday's fatal plane crash that seriously injured Travis Barker. The art of rock'n'roll drumming had been on my mind; I'd just received word that Earl Palmer, one of America's most important drummers, had died. Palmer can be heard on essential recordings by Little Richard, Frank Sinatra, Tom Waits, Jimmy Witherspoon, Julie London and Dinah Washington.

He's also the drummer on Richie Valen's "La Bamba" for crying out loud! And it's Palmer that makes Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd St. Rhythm Band's "Express Yourself" one of the funkiest songs of all time.

Palmer worked with Don & Dewey on several of their most famous hits, including "Farmer John" and "The Letter". Those tracks, along with the 1959 instrumental "Jump Awhile" are contained on the absolutely delightful Jungle Hop collection.

Palmer was 83.

---
I hate the New York Yankees organization just a little less today. I practically fell off my couch last night when I heard Yankee Stadium's organist play a swinging version of Charlie Parker's "Yardbird Suite" during ESPN's broadcast of the final home game at the landmark. Hey, Kansas City Royals- I'm reluctant to suggest that you copy the Yankees, but how about replacing John Denver with Bird next season?

---
According to this video, a Mac Lethal DVD titled Bald and Beautiful is "coming soon."

---
I have no regrets about paying $15 to hear Jim White and the Steel Drivers perform Saturday at the Folly. Even so, it was one of those inconsequential shows that you realize (even as you're enjoying it) is destined to become merely a vague memory in a year or two. Here's Tim Finn's review.

---
Kansas City Click: The deliberately messed up noise of This Is My Condition will precede The Dead Science tonight at the Record Bar.

No comments: