Thursday, September 28, 2006

Tony Bennett- Lost In the Stars



















We're all lost now.

Tony Bennett has received as much ink as Paris Hilton the last couple weeks. The music press is fawning over the 80-year-old's new duets album. A big part of Bennett's charm is his overwhelming sincerity. He smiles as he sings. That's why my favorite Bennett performance is this 1962 reading of Kurt Weill's bitter "Lost In the Stars." Hearing the perpetually cheerful Bennett crack on this existential poem tears me up. Oh, that's some guy named Kenny Burrell on guitar.

---
I slobber all over Mardo in this live review.

---
I haven't purchased The Flaming Lips' At War With the Mystics because I've been waiting for this forthcoming deluxe version. I love hearing production-oriented bands like Super Furry Animals, Queen and the Lips in 5.1 surround sound.

No comments: