Monday, May 04, 2015

Album Review: Yelawolf- Love Story


Blame it on David Allan Coe.  I was raised on outlaw country songs like “Longhaired Redneck” and the infamous “If That Ain’t Country.”

I suppose that’s why I remain partial to decidedly uncouth music by Southern and Midwestern outsiders ranging from Kid Rock to Tech N9ne. 

Yelawolf, the controversial Alabaman who has been repeatedly excoriated by critics, speaks directly to me, partly because I relate to his intense relationships with God and alcohol. 

Yelawolf airs his dirty laundry on the deliberately offensive “Whiskey in a Bottle”, one of Love Story’s many strong tracks.  ”Best Friend”, a collaboration with Eminem, is also pretty great. 

I don't condone the hateful slurs Yelawolf employs, nor will you ever hear me utter those words.  But that doesn’t mean that I haven't been barraged by similar trash talk for much of my life. 

I may not look or sound like Yelawolf, but I know precisely where he's coming from.


---
I reviewed a concert by Vance Joy, the Kooks, Joywave and Hembree.

---
I contributed a Local Listen segment about Mat Shoare to KCUR.

---
“Hood Crazy” is probably Tech N9ne’s most mainstream song to date.  Here’s the video.  Tech N9ne’s Special Effects drops this week.

---
I saw Joseph Kern conduct the Midwest Chamber Orchestra in a performance of his dissonant but romantic new Chamber Symphony at the Lutheran Church of the Resurrection last night.  Sarah Tannehill-Anderson’s singing of a Walt Whitman text was beauteous.

---
Ben E. King has died.  I suppose “Spanish Harlem” is my favorite King hit.

---
Jack Ely of the Kingsmen has died.

---
Reach places flowers at the graves of jazz, rock and hip-hop in the ”Pay Respects” video.

---
His provocative image aside, Young Thug is kind of boring.  Barter 6 is  RIYL: Birdman, drugs, Weezy.  Here’s ”Constantly Hating”.

---
Earl Sweatshirt is so sad.  "Solace" is his extremely loose new project.

---
Just a Mortal Man is the debut album of 71-year-old Jerry Lawson.  RIYL: Brook Benton, classic soul, Solomon Burke.  Here’s the title track.

---
I appreciate Marc Myers’ reevaluation of the collaboration between Tony Bennett and Bill Evans.

---
Angry jazz is good jazz.  Terence Blanchard’s goes hard on the EPK for his new album.

---
Need a lift?  I recommend "Gyae Su" by Pat Thomas the Kwashibu Area Band.

---
Portions of Raekwon’s Fly International Luxurious Art are almost as good as Ghostface Killah’s recent string of outstanding albums.  RIYL: Wu-Tang Clan, the kitchen sink, Busta Rhymes.  Here’s ”All About You”.

---
Bell Witch’s acclaimed metal album Four Phantoms is RIYL: vertigo, High On Fire, fashionable black metal.

---
I’m disappointed by Charles Lloyd’s Wild Man Dance.  RIYL: hype, Gerald Clayton, third stream.  The EPK, however, is amazing.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

Gary said...

One interesting thing about Ben E. King is that Led Zeppelin altered a song of his "Groovin'" that was included on their post-Bonham release Coda.

bgo said...

I know where Yelawolf is coming from too and believe me I am glad I no longer have to be around cretins like him anymore.

Happy In Bag said...

Gary- listening to those early Drifters recordings is a revelation. The group and their songwriters provided plenty of "inspiration."

BGO- I guess I'll have to do the cretin hop without you.