Tuesday, July 30, 2013

J.J. Cale, 1938-2013


I've been obsessed with attending performances of live music since I was about 13.  Before my tastes coalesced, I hit shows indiscriminately.  If I could get a ride and afford a ticket to a concert that admitted kids, I was there.  My inexperience and ignorance led me to a lot of unlikely places in the pre-internet era.   

I recall not knowing what to expect as I sat in the balcony of the Uptown Theater for a J.J. Cale concert.  I didn't know the difference between J.J. Cale, John Cale or John Cage at that point.  I was just glad to be part of the mix. 

My enthusiasm waned as Cale played his distinctive Tulsa shuffle on a dimly-lit stage.  That laid-back sound isn't designed to appeal to an agitated teenager.  While I've grown to appreciate Cale's contributions and enormous influence on the likes of Eric Clapton and Dire Straits, I never really acquired a taste for his music. 

Cale died last week.


---
Writer and musician Mick Farren has died.

---
Tim Finn chats with Tech N9ne about Something Else.

---
I fell in love with Superchunk's "Me & You & Jackie Mittoo" before I even heard it.

---
This could be the exact moment the jazz audience evaporated". (Via There Stands the Glass reader PF.)

---
Quest's new Live In Paris album reminded me of Richie Beirach's greatness.  RIYL: Dave Liebman, John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner.

---
The music video for King Khan & the Shrines' "Darkness" is mesmerizing.  RIYL: the White Stripes, Percy Mayfield, Bobby Womack.

---
Geoffrey Keezer's new The Heart of the Piano is a syrupy and sentimental solo piano album.  RIYL: John Lewis, Danny Wright, Ahmad Jamal.

---
I suppose that suggesting Lil B is Based God an emperor with no clothes is missing the point.

---
I hope to listen to the new albums by Five Finger Death Punch, Buddy Guy, Chante Moore, T. Hardy Morris, Roomful of Blues, Robin Thicke and John Zorn after spend quality time with Tech N9ne's Something Else.

---
Kansas City Click: Mates of State opens for the Postal Service at the Midland on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Mike Tramp of White Lion appears at Aftershock on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

bgo said...

It comes as no surprise to me that you never much cared for the succinct styling of JJ Cale. Anytime he attempted a semblance of an extended solo we had to worry if hew was going to fall asleep. I miss him already.