Friday, May 03, 2013

Album Review: Reach- Live at RecordBar


When Reach insistently repeats the refrain "Hip Hop Is Alive" on his new album Live at RecordBar, he isn't celebrating the latest success of Wale or 2 Chainz.  Reach is a true believer in the original purist ideals of hip hop.  The new release- his fourth full-length album- serves as affirmation of Reach's principles.  Supported by the funk/jam band Mouth, DJ Ataxic and vocalists Schelli Tolliver, Sausha Brooks and Vance Ashworth, the well-recorded collaboration brings out the best in each participant.  Live at RecordBar represents most everything I respect but too rarely encounter in live hip hop performances.


---
Gov't Mule was good on Tuesday.  Here's my review.  Diana Krall was great on Wednesday.  Here's my review.

---
Jeff Hanneman of Slayer has died.

---
Chris Kelly, better known as Mack Daddy of Kriss Kross, has died.

---
Sid Selvidge has died.  Listen to "The River" from his 2003 album A Little Bit of Rain if you're in need a good cry.

---
The single best live performance I witnessed last week was a rendition of Teri Quinn's "Shanafelt" at the senior recital of Sarrah Cantrell at UMKC's White Recital Hall.

---
Betse Ellis performed "Straight to Hell" on KDHX.

---
As I watched the attractive, well-heeled and diverse audience of about 10,000 take in Quixotic's sublime Surfaces performance last Sunday at the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, it occurred to me that the event was the antithesis of Rockfest.  And in truth, I'm more of a Rockfest kind of guy.

---
Les Izmore was a guest on KCUR's Central Standard.  (Not to be a stickler, but the "new" solo album in question was released in 2011.)

---
I reviewed Matt Kane's Suit Up! at Plastic Sax earlier this week.

---
De La Soul's new "Get Away" is impressive.

---
I'm not prepared to endorse The Uncluded, the new partnership between Aesop Rock and Kimya Dawson, but it's entirely possible that I'll come around.  RIYL: parallel universes, primitivism, schizophrenia. 

---
Dag- the lineup of Soundset 2013 goes from Atmosphere to Tech N9ne. 

---
Two or three of you crusty old bastards highly-valued readers will be glad to hear that Spider John Koerner's new What's Left of Spider John is a lot of fun.  RIYL: Minnesota, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Mississippi John Hurt. 

---
Questlove is quite possibly the best person alive.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi Bill - thank you again for not only stopping in this weekend, but introducing yourself (and also the other Bill -- hope I remembered his name correctly). I'm having the damnedest time tracking down an email address for you and I wanted to see if you'd be up for a Q&A for a series I'm running on our blog, looking at the history of this scene and where it's at right now. Like you said... I have a lot to learn! Here are some samples I've put together so far:

http://blog.millsrecordcompany.com/category/local

Sorry for doing this in a comment - hope to hear from you though. millsrecordcompany@gmail.com.

-Chris