Friday, August 03, 2012

What's That Noise?














I almost became "that guy" last week.  Every music fan has watched people turn around at the door of a tavern when they realize that the room is dominated by loud musicians.  I almost joined that contemptible club last week.  Hungry and with an hour to kill before going to a different live music venue for a five-hour show, I stopped at Czar Bar at 6 p.m. to partake in its air conditioning, ice water and food.  A band was launching into a matinee performance.   With more than a little trepidation, I stayed to check out the emo-ish band The Author and the Illustrator.  I liked 'em.  My hamburger and fries were also very good, although at $13 plus tip, I'm far more likely to go out of my way to catch the Author and the Illustrator than splurge on another meal at the establishment on Grand Boulevard.


---
I'm still assessing the merits of The Cherry Thing.  I have no such reservations about Neneh Cherry's eclectic playlist.

---
Sara Gazarek has jokes.

---
It's a wonder that Foxygen didn't title its new album Through the Past, Darkly (Vol. 3).

---
My friend Steve Wilson is interviewed about his band the Liquor Buddies.

---
Here's the new video for Stik Figa's "Cornerstore."

---
"Welcome to Nookie Wood." (How I love John Cale!)

---
The comment thread at Tim Finn's review of a Big Time Rush concert is a thing of beauty.

---
The Mailbox, a weekly Kansas City-centric music program hosted by my friends Michael Byars and Chris Haghirian, is one of my favorite podcasts.  That said, my taste in music only overlaps with Chris' about ten percent of the time.

---
Kansas City Click: Look for me at the following shows: Drowning Pool returns to the VooDoo on Friday.

The Pitch Music Showcase is Saturday.

The People's Liberation Big Band celebrates its fourth year at the RecordBar on Sunday.

My Morning Jacket headlines at Starlight on Monday.

(Original music by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: