Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review: Stephen Malkmus- Mirror Traffic
















Video stream of "No One Is (As I Are Be)" by Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks

Many of friends are Deadheads. I'm perfectly content to listen to American Beauty when I hang out with them, but I'm always on the hunt for new music that bridges the gap between their worlds and mine. Mirror Traffic, the ramshackle new release by Stephen Malkmus and the Jicks, is such an album. As the video for "No One Is (As I Are Be)" suggests, it's really far out. I don't have any personal insights into the behavior of Malkmus, his bandmates in the Jicks or album producer Beck, but Mirror Traffic has a strong under-the-influence vibe. "All Over Gently" resembles a jam from a forgotten Mothers of Invention splinter group. And even on rockers like "Forever 28" and "Tune Grief," Malkmus' approximation of singing is just like Jerry's.

---
Here's my review of a Def Leppard and Heart concert at Sprint Center.

---
I reviewed the first set of Marilyn Maye's weeklong engagement at Jardine's.

---
The video for Greg Enemy's "Sophisticated Goon Sh*t" is impressive.

---
I relentlessly bash Satan Taylor Swift, but I have to admit that her live collabo with Nicki Minaj was pretty cool.

---
I've seen several reports that Pearl Thuston-Brown has died. I last wrote about her at Plastic Sax in 2010.

---
David "Honeyboy" Edwards has died. I posted photos of the blues legend performing at the 2006 Kansas City Kansas Street Blues Festival at Hit Random.

---
Jerry Leiber died last week. My friend Joel Francis recounts the story of "Kansas City" here.

---
Kansas City Click: The Intercontinental Hotel hosts Laura Chalk's album release gig on Tuesday.

The mighty Rhino Bucket hits the Riot Room on Wednesday.

The Tedeschi Trucks Band performs at Crossroads KC on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: