Thursday, July 14, 2011

Review: Grieves with Budo- Together/Apart


















Grieves with Budo- "Bloody Poetry" video stream at YouTube

One of the toughest decisions the Warped Tour schedule forced me to make last week was whether to catch Lucero or Grieves with Budo. I went with the roots rockers. I don't regret it, but passing on the opportunity to see Grieves and multi-instrumentalist Budo in their first Kansas City-area show since they parted ways with the locally-based Black Clover label hurt. Others can make fun of so-called emo-rap all they like. I've loved Grieves songs like "I Ate Your Soul" for years. The new album Together/Apart on the Rhymesayers label contains several new favorites. Grieve's dark rhymes are good but what really makes Together/Apart work are the jazz, pop and avant-garde leanings of beat-maker Budo. I also appreciate the superior packaging.


---
Am I influential or merely prescient? Laurie Anderson and Phillip Glass have been booked at the Kauffman Center. I mentioned them as ideal candidates for the new performance space in an ill-tempered rant eight months ago.

---
The photos accompanying my review of Gomez's concert are excellent.

---
I like Ted Nugent.

---
Does my interest in the new Winnie the Pooh soundtrack make me a creep?

---
I wish I connected with the music of Terri Lyne Carrington's new project.

---
Kansas City Click: The Randy Rogers Band appears at the Power & Light free concert series on Thursday.

Keb Mo and Kelley Hunt play a free show in Olathe on Friday.

Rob Zombie headlines a "low-dough-show" Saturday at Sandstone.

Innerpartysystem appear at The Midland on Sunday.

The Fleet Foxes play The Uptown Theater on Monday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: