Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Review: Big K.R.I.T.- Return of 4Eva

















After quickly glancing at a list of my favorite releases from the first quarter of 2011, I was pleasantly surprised to spot several free self-released mixtapes in my nascent top ten. They range from Nicholas Payton's label-rejected Bitches to Kansas City hip hop artist Steddy P.'s What Happened Tomorrow. Big K.R.I.T.'s Return of 4Eva is also in the mix. Unlike many such projects, it boasts top-quality production and solid features by the likes of David Banner, Chamillionaire and Raheem DeVaughn. I'd gladly pay money for songs like "Lions and Lambs" and "King's Blues." And that's the conundrum- how can I justify spending money on today's new releases from the Raveonettes, Gretchen Parlato, Avant and Etta James when I already possess hour after hour of excellent free new music? Aw... I'm not fooling anybody. Money I'd otherwise spend at the Oak Tree will continue to go to prerecorded music.


---
The hype surrounding Vijay Iyer quickly becomes tiresome, but I have to admit that this trio session recorded for NPR is astounding.

---
Here's my review of Joe Lovano and Us Five's concert at the Folly Theater. I also covered a fine outing by the Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey and Snuff Jazz.

---
Although I always loathed his biggest hit, I'm saddened by the death of Mel McDaniel.

---
I must have missed the release of the new video for "Caked Up" by Ron Ron and Stik Figa while I was on my blogging sabbatical.

---
Free Lil' Boosie! Not really. But the new video for Kansas City's Mon EG and Boosie's "Dime Piece" is solid. (Via Tony's Kansas City.)

---
Kansas City Click: Big K.R.I.T. appears at the Granada Theater in Lawrence on Tuesday.

Jack Walrath performs at White Recital Hall on Wednesday.

The Waybacks pick and grin at Crosstown Station on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

bgo said...

The Oak Tree looks like a joint I'd find an unsuccessful Buscemi type and I'd feel right at home drinking a cheap but highly serviceable gin and tonic. Always have liked the area too. You sure do get around to all the dives, Bill B.

Happy In Bag said...

I find myself thinking a lot about drinking only when I can't drink, BGO. Lent sure is long.