Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Crate Digging with DJ P




















As friends posted updates about their Record Store Day activities last Saturday, I considered inviting them over to my home for an impromptu sale. I could always use the money and my neglected collection takes up a lot of space. Even so, I was sucked into the vinyl vortex the following day when I heard that DJ P was performing in front of Zebedee's. I like DJ P in part because we both understand that hip hop, metal and reggae albums belong in the same bin. Footage from 2006 shows that DJ P was ahead of the curve. Inevitably, I wound up buying more jazz and R&B vinyl. I just can't help myself.

---
With features from many of the town's top names, The Popper's "For the Mo" will almost certainly be the Kansas City-area's top music video of 2011. (Initial tip via Tony's Kansas City.) It also reminds me that it's been far too long since I've heard "Check My Posture", one of my favorite songs of 2008.

---
Randy Wood, founder of Dot Records, died last week. Jazz blogger Marc Myers provides valuable perspective on Wood's legacy.

---
I'm misty blue. A storm destroyed Malaco Records last week.

---
I recently reviewed performances by Bela Fleck, Zakir Hussain and Edgar Meyer and the Del McCoury Band with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

---
I've done a disservice to myself and to There Stands the Glass readers by not regularly listing the new releases that most excite me. In order of personal preference, here's a checklist of artists with albums out today: Ralph Stanley, Les Nubians, Dead Rock West, Berner, Gorillaz, Walt Weiskopf, High Llamas, DJ Quick, Willie Clayton (If Your Loving Wasn't Good Enough To Keep Me...How In The World Do You Think It Can Bring Me Back), Various- Shattered Dreams: Funky Blues 1967-78, Various- Impulse! @50: First Impulse - The Creed Taylor Collection, Del Tha Funky Homosapien, Allen Toussaint (Lost Sessions), Erwin Schrott, Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, Duff McKagan, Old Time Religion- Rare Recordings Of Jerry Lee Lewis In Church Preachin', Shoutin', and Singin', Samuel Blaser & Paul Motian and Cam'ron.

---
I made an e-card invitation for a show I plan to attend on Easter. Feel free to join me.

---
Here's a new Kickstarter funding request from the People's Liberation Big Band.

---
Kansas City Click: The Barclay Martin Ensemble return to Jardine's on Tuesday.

The Hudson Falcons play Davey's on Wednesday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: