Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Review: Social Distortion- Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes


















Stream of "Machine Gun Blues" at YouTube.

If you babble long enough you'll eventually say something smart or funny. Accordingly, I've coined a few memorable phrases. One of my favorites came to me during a mid-'80s performance by zydeco musician Beau Jocque.

"He only knows one song," I yelled to a friend. "But it's a good one."

That's how I feel about Social Distortion. I love the new album Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes. I loved the aging punk band's previous recording and I'll almost certainly love the next one. I suppose you could characterize Social D's formulaic approach as a predictable rut. I prefer to think of it as a comfortable groove.

Let other artists innovate. I love Social Distortion's song just the way it is.

---
I reviewed Saturday's performance by Tech N9ne.

---
Here's a new song from Mac Lethal.

----
Here's low-budget video for the Lonely Hearts Club's "Sweet."

---
I have mixed feelings about the first single from The Streets' "fifth and final album." Here's the video.

---
Dude!

---
Kansas City Click: Hey everybody, B.B. KIng is in town! He appears Tuesday at the Independence Events Center.

Ruthie Foster plays Knuckleheads on Wednesday.

Clint Ashlock's New Jazz Order featuring Megan Birdsall opens the Jazz Winterlude festival on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: