Friday, October 30, 2009

Review: The Buzz Halloweenie Roast






















The first indication that Wednesday night would be a drag came as I queued up at the gate for the Buzz's Halloweenie Roast. I found myself amid a crush of A Flock of Seagulls fans who were loudly complaining about the music of Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears.

"That's the worst band I've ever heard," one birdbrain remarked.

Judge for yourself. Here's fan footage.

While I adore the throwback soul act, I have to admit that their halfhearted effort disappointed me. The Raveonettes were even less enthusiastic. While I'm fairly certain that Black Joe Lewis was just having an off night, I suspect that the Raveonettes work best as a studio project.

As unlikely as it seems, Nuthatch 47, a local Gogol Bordello-style band, offered my favorite performance of the night. They were funny and they seemed genuinely happy to be there. So did Thunder Eagle. "Alcoholocaust," their best song, sounded as if Pat Travers was sitting in with his kid's screamo band.

I had intended to stick around for both Jet and the mighty Architects, but the sadsacks in A Flock of Seagulls bummed me out so badly that I took flight midway through their set.

Read Jason Harper's amusing account of the event for further details. I don't feel guilty knowing that my antisocial behavior directly contributed to his sense of despair. Ink provides additional party pictures.

---
I've neglected to note the passing of Vic Mizzy.

---
My friends are busting my chops for writing a relatively favorable review of last night's Rob Thomas show.

---
Kansas City Click: George Freaking Winston appears at Unity on the Plaza on Friday.

The Hearts of Darkness perform at Davey's on Halloween night.

Fast Johnny Ricker plays Sunday at Pilgrim Chapel.






















(Original images of costumed creepiness and Thunder Eagle by There Stands the Glass.)

2 comments:

MILE DEEP said...

if you are going to sound like black joe louis... for godsake put on a fucking suit.

the hoodie+DANCING COMBO= DONT BELIEVE IT

Eli paperboy reed on the other hand sells it!

Happy In Bag said...

It's funny, Mile Deep, but the only thing that prevented me from ripping into Black Joe Lewis further was the fact that he wore a Royals cap. I appreciated the small gesture.

And don't worry, I like your guy Paperboy just fine.

Thanks for checking in.