Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Larry Willis- The Meaning of the Blues

















No more blues.

I gave the Kind of Blue tribute concert a lukewarm review last weekend. The only member of Jimmy Cobb's band not walking on eggshells was pianist Larry Willis. I didn't like everything he did, but I appreciated Willis' attempts to snap his comrades out of their tentative reveries. Although 1992's Steal Away contains outstanding contributions from Gary Bartz and Cecil McBee, this solo work best exemplifies Willis' emotional playing.

---
I bought Lyle Lovett's new album because it has a cover of my favorite Vince Bell song.

---
Ron Ron's Skitzo-Frinik has dominated my personal playlist this month.

---
More than one reader of There Stands the Glass will want to know that Bob Koester contributed to Devil At the Confluence, a new book about the history of St. Louis blues.

---
Kansas City Click: The Rich Boys top Tuesday's bill at the Riot Room.

Eisley join Say Anything at the Beaumont Club on Wednesday.

No comments: