Friday, February 20, 2009

Scott Severin- Misery Loves Company















No more misery.

A significant portion of my life has been spent working in record stores. While I've reluctantly embraced the changes that have decimated the music retail community, I still wax nostalgic about the old days.

Not surprisingly, one of my first stops on a visit to Omaha earlier this week was the Homer's store on Howard Street. I instinctively began chatting up the guy behind the counter. We bonded over our mutual admiration of The Hold Steady, Bruce Springsteen and The New York Dolls.

I learned that my new friend was Scott Severin. He's a tough, gritty songwriter who paid his dues in New York. Little girls may not understand the craggy voice and street poetry of Severin's 2005 CD Unknown Rider. Similar-minded artists including David Johansen and Lou Reed, however, would surely recognize Severin as one of their own.

This video gives a sense of Severin's personality.

---
Kansas City Click: I spend a lot of time embarrassing myself. Last week I told a stranger how much I admire Kristie Stremel. The dude turned out to be the drummer for Exit 159. I vaguely recall the band but I had no idea it included Stremel. They reunite at the Record Bar tonight.

Rufus Wainwright entertains at The Uptown Theater on Saturday.

Knuckleheads hosts Myra Taylor's 92nd birthday party Sunday.

5 comments:

bgo said...

Glad to now Homer's is still around.

I am not sure if either of them are still working there, but I had 2 business pals that were essential employees there.

Happy In Bag said...

I've always loved the guys at Homer's, BGO. The flagship store still looks great- deep selection, compelling sales, intriguing blend of non-music gift items.

Heather Babes said...

I know Scott personally from his NY days... I was living in Boston at the time... he's good people and a great musician...

Happy In Bag said...

Thanks for checking in, Heather. I like Scott a lot, too.

Anonymous said...

Severin is an asshole.