Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Canned Goods

Back when air was unthreatening and gainful employment afforded such luxuries, I considered traveling to Brooklyn to attend the Long Play festival.  Those were the days!

Although the event organized by the Bang on a Can collective was canceled, an extremely satisfying simulation of the festival thrilled me last month.  Not only were the awkward technology-related fumbles of Bang on a Can founders David Lang, Julia Wolfe and Michael Gordon utterly charming, their post-performance chats with musicians provided insights I wouldn’t have gained while sitting amid a big crowd in Brooklyn.  And most of the low-resolution performances by the likes of Mary Halvorson, Meredith Monk, Tim Fain, George E. Lewis, Meara O’Reilly, Martin Bresnick and Vijay Iyer were excellent.

That’s why I’ve blocked out six hours on Sunday, June 14, to watch the second installment of the Bang on a Can Marathon.  I risk hyperventilating while perusing the auspicious lineup. Rhiannon Giddens! Nik Bärtsch! Roscoe Mitchell! Tomeka Reid! Nico Muhly! Don Byron! Terry Riley!  I refuse to allow bill collectors to interrupt my Sunday afternoon revery.


---
I review Hermon Mehari’s A Change For the Dreamlike at Plastic Sax.

---
I like to believe Congressman Emanuel Cleaver is inspired by my screed about the Jazzy Jamdemic (ugh!) when he expresses chagrin about anemic viewership while justifying the expenditure during his frequent opening remarks for episodes of the daily initiative.

(Screenshot of Meredith Monk performing for the Bang on a Can Marathon on May 3 by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: