Monday, June 01, 2020

Album Review: Freddie Gibbs and the Alchemist- Alfredo

I sensed I was acting prematurely when I published lists of my favorite music of May last week.  Sure enough, Alfredo, a scathingly relevant outburst of soulful protests and abrasive swagger, was released May 29.  The elite collaboration between producer the Alchemist and rapper Freddie Gibbs combines the wizened soulfulness of Curtis Mayfield with the harsh immediacy of younger artists like SOB x RBE.  “1985” and “Something to Rap About” are among the essential tracks, but Rick Ross’ unexpected presence on the Gil-Scott Heron-inspired “Scottie Beam” makes Alfredo one of last month's best albums.


---
While less essential, Stik Figa’s If It’s the Last Thing I Do is of a piece with Alfredo.  The 29-minute recording reaffirms the Topeka rapper’s status as a crucial elder statesman in the region’s underground rap scene.

---
I examine the woefully-named Jazzy Jamdemic concert series at Plastic Sax.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: