Tuesday, June 26, 2012

All's Fair























With a great deal of trepidation, I took a flyer on the San Diego County Fair while in California in last week.  Accustomed to quaint livestock shows, scouting displays and sketchy carnies at similar events in Kansas and Missouri, I cringed at paying $10 to park and another $12 to enter the fair at the Del Mar track.  My skepticism was unfounded.  While I saw plenty of goats, 4-H exhibits and creepy carnival barkers, San Diego's version of a county fair is hardly forlorn or dusty. 

The musical smorgasbord was amazing.  In addition to several stages featuring cover bands, a stunning array of international acts perform at the festival every day.  I caught Lonestar and Eric Burdon

Lonestar performed on a massive Coachella-sized stage for an audience of about 3,000.  As much as I'd like to loathe the band for its undeniable influence on Rascal Flatts, I can't deny the power of songs like "No News".  I dug 'em in spite of myself. 

The convoluted career of Burdon has always confused me.  His set on a smaller stage for an audience of approximately 2,000 contained a mishmash of material.  I hadn't witnessed a Burdon performance in about 15 years and I'd forgotten how many memorable songs he's recorded.  I almost lost my mind hearing his classic versions of material like "When I Was Young".  Crazy. 

Back on the ag front, I learned that the sale and purchase of raw milk is legal in California.  That's it- I'm moving.

---
I reviewed last night's Scissor Sisters and Rye Rye concert.

---
I reviewed a Lukas Nelson show a couple weeks ago.

---
How is it that I didn't know about the Stepkids' "Legend In My Own Mind" until today?  (Thanks, Russell Jelinek!)

---
I recognize that it's just one cliché after another, but I adore Lita Ford's new Living Like a Runaway album.

---
Big Moon Ritual makes it clear that Chris Robinson loves American Beauty and Sailin' Shoes as much as me.

---
The goofy smirks on the faces of the vocalists as the Hood Internet cover the Pretenders' "Back On the Chain Gang" delight me.

---
It was love at first listen when I heard the late Manuel Galbán's Blue Cha Cha this morning.

---
Kansas City Click: See what you missed last week here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

3 comments:

bigsteveno said...

I didn't know Manuel Galbán had a new album (I didn't know he'd died either). Thanks for the heads up.

bigsteveno said...

Btw I've been catching up on Breaking Bad, and the episode I saw last Night (Sunset) featured a track by Galbán's 60s group Los Zafiros. I guessed instantly what it was, even though I'd never knowingly heard them before.

Happy In Bag said...

That's your secret superpower, Steve. Los Zafiros will provide my soundtrack for the weekend.