Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Donald "Duck" Dunn, 1941-2012


















Most readers of There Stands the Glass pick up on the fact that I often go on musical binges that last between two days and two weeks.  It's not uncommon for me to become fully immersed in a specific artist or style.  I can lose myself in old Dave Holland albums, the Skip James catalog, American Beauty, seminal thrash or Erik Satie.  I love these things so intensely that I inevitably burn myself out on each temporary obsession.  One of the few things I'll never tire of is the music made in Memphis from 1954-74.  Duck Dunn, of course, played a pivotal role in the creation of the timeless sound. (Get a load of this.)  Dunn died two days ago.


---
Here's my review of Rockfest.  My favorite of the fifteen performances? That's easy- Trivium.

---
Here's another song from the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse project.  I love it.

---
This is my introduction to Nathan Salsburg.

---
I like the homemade vibe of the Floozies' new video.

---
Krizz Kaliko's "Spaz" goes to "the next level."

---
The Clocks have reunited!

---
A Kickstarter campaign campaign for Renaissance was successful.

---
Oh no!  This spells another lost weekend for me.  It's safe to say that Pulp won't make my list.

---
Kansas City Click: Rocky Votolato is at the RecordBar on Tuesday.  I've admired his "hit" since its release.

Oriole Post plays at Kauffman Stadium before Wednesday's Royals game.

Chris Hazelton performs at the Blue Room on Thursday.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: