Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: Satchmo at the National Press Club


















The First Amendment Lounge at the National Press Club was the jazz capitol of the universe earlier today. Scholars were scheduled to discuss Louis Armstrong's 1971 visit to the institution. A recording of the event was issued this week by Smithsonian Folkways.

Even though only five of the release's eleven tracks feature Armstrong and the album's sound quality is sketchy, the rediscovered recording is an important document. I'm certainly better for having heard it. Armstrong sounds vital just five months before his death. In addition to performing fine versions of material including "Mack the Knife" and "Hello Dolly," Armstrong tells an amusing joke about erectile disfunction. And as Wynton Marsalis notes in his video commentary on Satchmo at the National Press Club, it's fascinating to hear how revered Armstrong was among members of the audience.

Oddly, my favorite track on the album is Tyree Glenn's charming impression of Armstrong on "A Kiss To Build a Dream On." As Glenn exclaims, "He was the greatest- beautiful!"

---
I wish I could buy Murray Gershenz's record collection.

---
The implications of François Hollande's supposedly official campaign spot make my head spin.

---
New to me: the pairing of Chet Baker and Caterina Valente. (Via Marc Myers.)

---
While I have no intention of attending, the Wakarusa stage schedule is enticing.

---
An examination of the set times of the Sweetlife Festival raises a perplexing question- how can Fun fun. headline a festival in Kansas City but serve as the lowest-billed main stage act at a festival in D.C.?

---
 "Hustle bones comin' out my mouth!" (From my #4 album of 2012.)

---
Kansas City Click: My officials picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: