Saturday, March 31, 2012

Greenwich Mean Time















The youth hostile hostel where I rested in London earlier this month abutted the offices of BBC 1Xtra. I wistfully considered roads not taken as I longingly watched couriers and employees bustle in and out of the Marylebone office. As the accompanying photo indicates, I compulsively creeped on the station's staff. Because internet access is shockingly shoddy in London, I wasn't able to properly listen to 1Xtra's broadcast until I returned to Kansas. It's delightful to discover that acts like Estelle and Tinchy Stryder are proper stars in G.B.


---
I haven't had time to process the passing of Earl Scruggs.

---
Jerry "Boogie" McCain has died. (Tip via BGO.)

---
Synesthesia, the new release by thePhantom*, contains a nice mix of the styles of Tech N9ne and Fat Tone.

---
Possible headline of the year: Jerry Lee Lewis marries cousin's ex-wife.

---
Macy Gray's new covers album is a lot of fun. Here's "Maps".

---
Marc Myers' interview with John Scofield is loaded with mind-blowing revelations.

---
I'm eager to spend quality time at Cultural Equity, but the Lomax archive is aggravatingly buggy.

---
I'm not in love with the new album by THEESatisfaction, but I expect that the neo-soul/hip hop project could grow on me.

---
By midnight I'll have taken in 57 individual live performances in the past three months. It would seem that my streak of catching over 365 gigs a year will end in 2012.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: