Monday, February 06, 2012

Review: Vivica Genaux and Europa Galante at the Folly Theater























My knees are still weak days after attending Friday's concert by Vivica Genaux and Europa Galante. It's not just the nonexistent leg room in the balcony of the Folly Theater that made me wobbly. I'm still swooning from the intoxicating combination of the vocalist's superb voice, sultry visage and sublime accompanists.

It looked like this but it sounded as good as any concert I've experienced. No amplification was employed in the high-ceilinged hall. I could distinguish every note played by the 14-piece Italian ensemble. I caught glimpses of God during Concerto for 2 violins Op 3 Nº 8 RV 522.

I loved much of the live jazz and metal I've already witnessed in 2012, but Friday's concert is the one to beat.

Here's John Heuertz's review.


---
David Peaston has died.

---
Here's the music video for Esperanza Spalding's "Black Gold."

---
What did I think of the halftime show at the Super Bowl? Thanks for asking. Just the mere idea of the trio of Madonna, M.I.A. and Nicki Minaj being broadcast into tens of millions of homes around the world strikes me as remarkably subversive.

---
I recently listened to Sun Ra's Magic City for the first time in over a decade. It's unfortunate the legend sometimes gets in the way of the music. This stuff is absolutely brilliant.

---
I returned to the Folly Theater on Saturday to catch Phil Woods and Grace Kelly. Here are my notes.

---
Kansas City Click: It's my understanding that Stacy Barthe opens for Estelle at the Riot Room on Monday.

Everette DeVan plays at the Phoenix on Tuesday.

Amy Farrand's Weirdo Wednesday Supper Club is at Davey's Uptown.

Max Justus is among the acts performing Thursday at the Record Bar.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass. I didn't dare try for an in-concert photo. Sure enough, Genaux sternly scolded a shutterbug during the show.)

No comments: