Friday, February 17, 2012

Jodie Christian, 1932-2012


















Dear Diary- I was saddened to learn of the death of Jodie Christian a couple days ago. Yet I can't help but smile at a memory his name evokes. Back when flying was easy and I accumulated Southwest Airlines travel vouchers like a champion, I regularly spent my weekends in Chicago. My friend Duane suggested we take our dates to Pops for Champagne. It worked for me- watching jazz pianist Christian perform just five feet away thrilled me. I let Duane, a regular at the venue, order the first bottle of champagne. Midway through the third bottle, Duane and his date left. "Don't worry Duane, it's my treat- thanks for suggesting this great place." My giddiness ended when the check arrived. Unbeknownst to me, we'd been sipping on $100 bottles. Christian was wonderful, though. His work for Delmark is very fine.


---
I have no regrets about seeing Roy Ayers instead of Craig Finn last Saturday, but this footage from the Record Bar is pretty great.

---
I learn a lot from Marc Myers' Jazz Wax blog. The photo that opens this entry solves a longtime mystery for me.

---
Kansas City Click: My official picks are published here.

(Original image by There Stands the Glass.)

No comments: